SRH Summer School in Music Therapy 2020
... want to learn about music therapy in Germany?
... want to study in Germany’s most famous university town, Heidelberg?
... want to internationalize your career?
Our SRH Summer School for Music Therapy 2020 is an introduction to music therapy practices in Germany, with an emphasis on music therapy in psychosomatic care. Students experience music therapy interventions incorporating songs and improvisational methods.
Who is the program for?
This program is designed for people interested in studying music therapy at the master’s level: students of music, the health sciences, psychology, education, cultural studies, and related fields. We particularly encourage applications from individuals who are interested in pursuing a Master’s degree in music therapy at SRH Heidelberg University. We welcome all applicants, but students with high motivation to pursue the MA in Music Therapy at SRH will be given priority. Current university students may apply, as well as university graduates.
What is the language of instruction?
This summer school is offered in English.
How much does the Summer School cost?
The 2020 Summer School is supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). This funding covers the academic program, all study materials and cultural program and supports successful applicants with travel costs, accommodation, excursions, and subsistence. The grant for travel, accommodation and subsistence (including meals) is made by lump sum payments. The participants will receive the lump sums in cash in Heidelberg during the summer school. The amount of the grant for travel costs varies according to the country of origin. You can find a list with countries and lump sums at the following link. For accommodation and subsistence (including meals) each participant receives a lump sum of 250€ for the whole duration of the summer school (2 weeks). No other expenses apart from those can be reimbursed. Advance payments or money transfers abroad are not possible.
Will there be a formal transcript?
We will offer certificates of participation for the 2020 Summer School in music therapy. No formal transcripts will be issued.
How do I get to Heidelberg?
Participants book and pay for their own travel to Heidelberg. Frankfurt International Airport is the nearest airport and connected to Heidelberg via rail and bus.
What about visas?
Summer School participants from countries for which Germany requires visas must make their own arrangements for visas. SRH University will provide letters of acceptance to the summer school to those participants who need them. Please inform yourself about visa requirements before applying.
When can I apply?
The application portal will open in early 2020. Evaluation will begin in February and we will notify applicants who are accepted into the program beginning in March 2020.
How do I apply?
Please prepare and upload the following documents:
- Essay (in English) describing your educational and/or professional history and your interest in pursuing a master’s degree in music therapy at SRH University Heidelberg. What are your career plans? How does this summer school support them? Are you interested in interviewing/auditioning for the M.A. during the summer school? (max. 3 pages)
- Resume or c.v. including education, work experience and clinical training/practicum/fieldwork experience (if applicable)
- Letter of recommendation from someone who knows you well, regarding your suitability for this program and for master’s-level studies
- University transcript, including proof of graduation when applicable Applications are only accepted online.
How will you evaluate my application?
The following criteria will guide the evaluation process:
- Interest in the M.A in Music Therapy at SRH University Heidelberg
- Strength of educational/professional background
- Relevance of SRH M.A. in Music Therapy to career goals
- Quality of communication skills
- Level of professionalism in communications